Today, NFC is used in many devices. It is the fastest growing technology of its kind which cost between $0.50 and $1.00 per tag. NFC technology is being increasingly used in the smart home, specifically in areas such as controlling lights and appliances. By pairing devices using NFC, users can easily control their homes without having to use complex commands or settings. This is readily accomplished using an NFC tag reader, which is none other than your smartphone.
NFC tags can be embedded into everything from cards to toys to smartphones to computers to watches to jewelry, just to name a few. There are many different uses for NFC technology. It can be used to activate and turn on lights, to open doors, locks, and gates. It can be used to control security systems. NFC is a more secure way to control devices in your home than using solely smart home controlled system.
The possibilities are endless. It’s hard to imagine what people will come up with for the technology. We’re already starting to see things like contactless debit and credit cards pay. It is easy to use and it is convenient. In this article we will discuss basics of NFC and its best usage in smart home.
What is NFC Tag?
NFC tags are tiny passive chips that can be read by phones, laptops, and other devices with NFC technology. They’re used to store information like contact information, product information, and much more.
What is NFC Tag reader?
A NFC tag reader is an electronic device that can read Near Field Communications (NFC) tags. It could be mobile phone or specific reader gadget. These tags are small, waterproof stickers that can be attached to objects like grocery bags, clothing, or other personal belongings.These tags are passive device which means it does not need any electrical supply to work.
When a reader device comes in very close proximity to the tag, the tag’s electronics will send a signal to the reader, which will then read the tag and store the information accordingly. It comes in various memory sizes on the market.
How Do NFC Tags Reader Work?
In simple words, NFC uses magnetic field induction, which can transmit data from one device to another without the need for a direct line of sight. NFC is a short-range radio frequency (RF) based communication technology that operates at 13.56 MHz.
The first thing that you need to know about NFC tags is that they are small. They are very similar to the radio frequency identification (RFID) tags that you can put on your clothing or on your ID cards. RFID tags store data and communicate wirelessly with electronic devices using radio waves.
The second thing that you need to know about NFC tags is that they can store data. They can be used to transfer that stored data to the NFC tag reader.
Types of Data NFC Tag Can Store
NFC tags are a good way to store data.NFC tags can save a variety of types of data, such as contact information, payment information,your website URL, Bitcoin Wallet address, Your CV and more. The data saved can be transferred to an NFC tag reader. NFC tag readers can read these data and display it to you. The data can then be used to perform various tasks, such as ordering a product or such as sending command to Smart home system.
Why Use NFC Tags?
NFC tags is based on Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID), which uses electromagnetic fields to identify, track, and/or control devices. RFID was developed in the 1970s to replace barcode scanning and magnetic strip technology. Unlike barcodes, RFID tags not have to work with exact line of sight scanning and can be read from several inches away.
It is compatible with smartphones. This makes NFC tags very useful for smartphones. It is possible to attach NFC tags on mobile phones using either a sticker or a lanyard. NFC is mainly used for exchanging small amounts of data. It is mainly used to create short-term contactless
Due to it pretty small size. You can easily attach them to your keys, mobile phones, and even clothing. You can use NFC tags in several practical different ways.
NFC tags useful ways.
- Store Manager : You can use NFC tags in stores to track inventory and make it easy to find what you’re looking for.
- Doctors : Hospitals can use Near Field Communication tags to locate medical equipment and to identify patients and medical staff.
- Media Persons: Journalists can use near-field tags to create codes that can be scanned by readers. Journalists can include questions for readers in their stories thanks to this.
- Automation :NFC Tags can be used in automation geeks, to control devices and systems. They can be used to trigger actions or to collect data.
Use an iPhone as an NFC Tag Reader
While there are other NFC tags reader out there, the iPhone is the most popular device to use as a tag reader. This is because it has a large user base, as well as a variety of built-in applications that can be used to read tags.
Another unique advantage of using iPhone as NFC tag reader is that, you don’t need to unlock your iPhone to scan NFC tags.
Other popular devices include android phones, tablets and other mobile devices. These NFC applications can easily be downloaded onto your phone from the App Store or Google Play(for android users). Once the app is installed on your phone, you will be able to read NFC tags.
How to Use an iPhone as an NFC Tag Reader?
To use an iPhone as an NFC tag reader, do the following easy steps. To begin, use the Settings app on your iPhone. Then pick the “Control Center” option. Scroll down to the “NFC Tag Reader” section and hit the plus button on the top. Mainly there are two steps, step 1 is writing desired info to NFC tag and step 2 is to scan or read that info.
- Launch the NFC Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the NFC Tag button.
- Tap on the Add New NFC Tag button.
- Tap on the Add New NFC Tag button.
- Type in the NFC tag name.
- Tap on the Add button.
- Tap on the Scan NFC Tag button.
- The NFC tag will be scanned.
You have now added an NFC tag to your iPhone.
list of NFC Tag reader tools for iPhone
Below apps easily available in apple store and few as well as android play store
- NFC Tools
- NFC Document Scanner.
- Simply NFC
- RFID Scout.
Incredible Smart Home NFC tag usage through mobile phone
- You can attach them to your home security system and it will automatically activate when you approach your front door.
- You can attach them to a remote control and it will be activated when you enter a certain zone.
- You can also attach them to your refrigerator and it will unlock it. When you put your NFC tag in close proximity with your phone
- You can store information about your children on these tags. For instance, if your children dont know the password, they will not be able to make changes to your account online.They will simply tap the tag and it will fill the password or allow them to make transation
- You can also make your WIFI guest password available to guest with NFC tag so that guests can be allowed to access the network without having to enter a password.
- Lastly, best thing is NFC tags are reusable. You can also change the data you store at any time. Tags can be purchased easily and cheaply at many stores.
What factors should you consider while purchasing NFC tags?
What to consider when buying NFC tags? When buying NFC tags, it’s important to consider the following factors: -tag type (e.g. -size -material -manufacturer -price Size NFC tags come in a variety of sizes, and it’s important to choose the right one for your application. -size: The size of the tag is important for two reasons. First, it affects the amount of data that can be stored on the tag. Second, it affects the size of the tag’s antenna. -material: This tag is made of plastic. –
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a way to add some flair to your next holiday party, why not try this NFC tag decorating idea? This is a great way to make sure you have a memorable holiday party without breaking the bank!